Weather Satellite Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Weather Satellite forum where you can discuss all things related to Weather Satellite Image reception

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
unixnut

Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec Empty
PostSubject: Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec   Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 1:23 pm

After reading a number of posts about improving radio noise by cooling your SDR I decided to try the same on a NooElec SmarTee SDR that I use with Linux. I noticed previously that this SDR runs hot but was assured that this was normal ....

So I fire up Gqrx and look at the spectrum display on 137.5 MHz. I then bolt on to the SDR body a pair of heat sinks reclaimed from old PC graphics cards. By chance their mounting holes line up so it really was just a couple of small think bolts with nuts.

Over the next 15 minutes I see improvements in the noise floor but no change to the peaks. So for now the heat sinks stay on. Every little helps - right ?

Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec Heat_s10
Back to top Go down
K3WHO

K3WHO

Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec   Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 am

I thought about doing this. I've got some old CPU heatsinks lying around. Cut two pieces to fit two sides of the dongle and attach with some heatsink compound and I think it would certainly help. Now I have to dive though the bins in the basement.
Back to top Go down

Cooling the SmarTEE from NooElec
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Weather Satellite Forum :: Radios :: Software Defined Radio-
Jump to: